2010年12月7日星期二

Mt. Kinabalu, “Devil Coach” & “Destroyed Man”






Mt. Kinabalu, “Devil Coach” & “Destroyed Man”

To my best friend and “Devil Coach” – Dave! 

That’s why I need to write this blog in English.

Time flies back to the year of 2005!  It is a year of mixed emotion of sadness and satisfaction, in which I have experienced several months of unstable employment (and unemployment) during late 2004 and early 2005; but on the other hand, I was proud of myself because of the determination and passion to keep my personal goal - “annual backpacking” alive despite of the difficult time!  The year of 2005 is indeed my Backpacking 5th Anniversary.

In many people’s eyes, Mt. Kinabalu (4095m) in Sabah , Malaysia is the highest mountain in South East Asia which offers an unforgettable 2-days-1-night trekking.  But to me, it’s simply more than that!  It was the place where I met Dave.  As per the Mt. Kinabalu National Park ’s safety rules, trekker is required to secure sleeping bed in the Laban Rata Resthouse at 3270m and a hiking guide before trekking.  For cost reduction purpose, trekkers will normally group themselves into 4 – 5 people a group and then hire a hiking guide.   That provides a perfect chance to meet other trekkers and that’s why Dave and I were met.





Though the trail from the “Power Gate” (1866m) to Laban Rata is all uphill with big steps under the tropical rain forest, it was a happy trekking with Dave, Ivy, Ann and Christine (both are from Australia who were newly met in the national park).  The weather was very “OK” as it only rained a little bit according to my memory.  The Mt. Kinabalu trekking was a year after my Mt. Fuji trekking and other trekking in Japan and Taiwan .  As a result, I thought the Mt. Kinabalu trekking would be a smooth and an easy one, at least that was my “expectation” before the night came.

“You have to respect Every Mountain, just like you have to respect Every Girl!”  That’s what I always tell my friends!  Trekking is a serious commitment and one simply can’t take any Mountain easily!  I was a happy man when we arrived at Laban Rata.  As we needed to get up very early for the summit climb in the next morning, we went to bed early.  Perhaps I was too happy and a bit excitement, I could not fall asleep!  Worst comes to worst, I felt headache! 





“Shit!  That is because of the altitude sickness…”  I spoke to myself, no doubt.

Altitude Sickness is one of those most destructive things on high mountains that you don’t want to encounter because you know you can do nothing but may need to go downhill immediately!  I could still remember the feeling of helplessness at the cold night on the 3270m bed!  More I forced myself to try to get some sleep, more I felt awake.  As time went by, headache was getting heavier and heavier, my morale and confidence became lower and lower!

“My dear God & St. Mary, please help me!  Please help me to get some sleep!  But when critical time comes, please give me strength and courage to do a sensible decision – Go or Quit!”  I prayed. 

Throughout the years, I find prayer is an amazing thing because although it may not kick my problem out immediately, it does help me to think of alternative way to solve my problem.  I suddenly thought of one thing after repeated prayer – the Panadol in my medical kit.  It might not help because I knew my headache was due to the altitude, but WHY NOT A TRY?




 Miracle came after taking the Panadol – I felt asleep for some 2 hours before the challenge!  More importantly, my headache was gone!  Though I was “not that sure” whether I could make it to the summit, why not a try as I was in Laban Rata already!  Determination is the key – a good lesson learnt from the Mt. Fuji trekking in 2004!

The summit climb was not an easy one, but I simply did it – I became one of the tallest men in the South East Asia on 1 April 2005 .  Dave was on the summit already.  Although I was late to see the sunrise on the summit, I was impressed by all the hard work, the magnificent summit view and the cloud of sea.  Thanks God & St. Mary – you brought me to the summit again!






If the climbing of the Mt. Kinabalu is a long way up on the 1st day, it must be a long way down on the 2nd day!  I was OK from the summit all the way back to Laban Rata.  However, once the effect of the Panadol was gone, my headache suddenly came back again!  I should have taken one more Panadol in Laban Rata; I should have consumed a can of Coca Cola in Laban Rata!  But when I did neither of them, perhaps it was my destiny to receive this new term originated from Dave - “A Destroyed Man”!

During the long way down, I was sleepy and simply felt all my energy was gone!  I didn’t want to walk anymore but only want to take a 15 minutes snap!  “Rickie was totally destroyed by Mt. Kinabalu .”  I remembered Dave said.  I agreed!  I was “destroyed”.






“Hey, Rickie!  There is only 1 km left!  Come on, you can do it!”  Dave said.  The trail is well-marked by a pole for every 500m (to my memory). 

"That is great!”  I replied.  At the same time, I did a simple calculation myself: 1km = 15mins!  However, the completion gate did not appear after 15 mins!  I did not know how long we had been walking, but it simply more than 15 minutes!  This is probably the “longest 1km” I have ever walked!  After many years, Dave and Ivy told me the truth – the alleged 1 km point was in fact the 2km point and they stood in front of every distance pole while I was walking!  It was a brilliant idea to keep “the destroyed man” walking indeed!  





Thanks for the Dave’s and Ivy’s encouragement, Rickie was not totally “destroyed” by Mt. Kinabalu !  We all survived until the end.  My energy level was resumed a lot after drinking a can of Coca Cola – the first time discovering that Coca Cola is a “critical drink” for serious trekking!

Dave and I kept in contact after the Mt. Kinabalu trekking.  Dave has now moved to Hong Kong and Hong Kong is his second home.  I am very happy and feel very lucky to have such a kind and energetic gentleman as my best friend.  Throughout the years, Dave has inspired me a lot in my mountain running/ fast trekking.  I am very impressed not only because of his speed and “extraordinary” energy level, but much on his unselfish personality and valuable qualities of a “real runner & trekker” – he runs with passion, persistence, respectful heart and, the most important thing, he enjoys running and the speed but does not target competition!  Dave is my “devil coach” (but a lovely one!) not because of his challenging trainings and targets, but his personality and valuable qualities of a “real runner & trekker” always reminding me and challenging my “inner darkness” – “Rickie, Do you run with respectful heart?  Do you run because of fun, self-challenge or merely for competition?”  Do you run with anger?  Do you share unselfishly?”






Dave, thanks for witnessing my personal growth and trekking & backpacking achievements throughout the years; thanks for walking/ running with me and “saving” me at critical moments!  Though you have also witnessed “the Destroyed Man” several times after the Mt. Kinabalu, I shall become stronger and always remember your words during the “destroyed time”, “Rickie, come on!  You are OK and ’ve not yet been Destroyed!”

May I wish you Happy Always!  Safe running & Safe journeys!  Yo have all my blessings!  





沒有留言:

發佈留言